This map shows all the cities that have signed on for activities on World Theatre Day 2009. (We'll see you after school Siberia and Mongolia!)
- World Theatre Day is celebrated every year on March 27.
- It is sponsored by The International Theatre Institute, an international non-governmental organization that was founded in Prague in 1948 by UNESCO and the international theatre community. The ITI aims "to promote international exchange of knowledge and practice in theatre arts (drama, dance, music theatre) in order to consolidate peace and solidarity between peoples, to deepen mutual understanding, and increase creative co-operation between all people in the theatre arts."
- Of course World Theatre Day, has a blog and a Facebook group.
- Each city gets involved in different ways. Suggestions include open rehearsals, readings, discounted tickets, flash mobs, blogging, recording, or just plain attending theatre.
- Every year a famous theatre artist writes a message about theatre that can be transmitted any way you see fit. Previous writers include lightweights like Laurence Olivier, Wole Soyinka, Vaclav Havel and some guy named Peter Brook. This year's message is written by Augusto Boal.
- Click here to get everything you need to make your city part of World Theatre Day.